Subject: Earthquakes

Earthquakes

From: Owen Bradford <owen.bradford>
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 1998
The following is posted on behalf of Maria Mouliou.
Being based in the UK means that earthquakes do not concern us
too much so perhaps someone else can give more positive advice.

    I am seeking some information on environmental and conservation
    practices in museums. Specifically, I would appreciate some tips
    and feedback on disaster planning strategies, mainly as regards
    archaeological museums and their "reaction/behaviour" in the
    unexpected event of an earthquake vibration.

    What I am really concerned with is preventive conservation,
    regarding both heavier free-standing objects and smaller
    artefacts protected in show-cases. In other words, I want to
    know how we can minimise the potentially disastrous effects of
    earthquake vibrations on museum objects.

    Would you have any information on relevant literature,
    appropriate materials and methods which were used successfully
    in the past or even contact numbers of other professionals who
    could enlighten me on this issue, I would be most grateful to
    have it.

    Dr. Maria Mouliou
    Archaeologist-Museologist
    Associate of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture
    Dept. of Antiquities
    35 Tmolou St.
    162 33 Athens
    Greece