Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: Anne Lane <alane>
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 1998
I need some informed opinions on the use of paper labels.  I have
been using 005 Pigma pens on acid-free paper to mark baskets, using
Acryloid B72 to adhere and seal the labels.  I really like this
method for several reasons, among them that I can make the label
really small, that I can put it on irregular surfaces easily, and
that there is much less risk to the artifact than there is in
writing directly on it with a liquid medium in a sharp pen.  My
question is this:  Provided it is placed, as any label would be, in
a non-wearing and unobtrusive location, is there any reason not to
use this method for marking other types of objects, such as those
made out of wood or metal or leather?  It seems to me that for small
size, ease of application, legibility, permanence and reversibility,
the paper label is the way to go.  I'd love to hear what the experts
have to say.

Anne T. Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County