Subject: Sprinkler systems

Sprinkler systems

From: Elana Makridou <elena.makridou.mus>
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 1998
Like many UK museums, we have a big building project at the moment.
At the moment we are expecting sprinklers to be installed in part of
the complex. It seems sprinklers are generally now considered to be
desirable in most circumstances because they are said to be fail
safe these days. So we are wondering if we should try to get them
put in throughout the building. Any comments on this? What criteria
are there for having sprinklers or not? Is it to do with collection
material or value, or is it more do with the building type and level
of occupation? Disaster stories would also be gratefully received.

    **** Moderator's comments: There is a fair amount of info about
    sprinkler system scattered throughout Conservation OnLine. See
    especially the WAAC Newsletter
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/>

                Distributed: Thursday, October 22, 1998