Subject: Materials and techniques database

Materials and techniques database

From: Jennifer Baker <jdbaker>
Date: Friday, October 16, 1998
Anne Lapointe <anne.lapointe [at] mcc__gouv__qc__ca> writes

>We would like to create a database on artists' materials and
>techniques, using a software programme such as FileMaker Pro or
>Access. This database could allow us to retain, in a concise format,
>useful information on the materials and techniques used in each
>painting we examine or treat.

Peter Eastman, formerly of Phila. Museum of Art, has an article on a
similar database project as the one you are describing in the most
recent (1997) Wood Artifacts Group Postprints. I've never used
Access, but I have also done several survey projects in Filemaker
and can recommend it as being one of the more user-friendly
database programs on the market.

Jennifer Baker

                Distributed: Thursday, October 22, 1998