Subject: Storage of ammunition

Storage of ammunition

From: George Bailey <george.bailey>
Date: Monday, October 19, 1998
Barbara Hamann <bhaman [at] missc__state__wy__us> writes

>The Wyoming State Museum has a collection of small arms ammunition,
>manufactured between 1860 and 1960, some of which was disarmed a
>number of years ago, some of which might still be live.  We would
>like to store this collection in the safest manner possible until it
>can be completely surveyed, and then disarmed or destroyed as
>necessary.

Live ammunition should be stored in a cool dry place that is
vibration free, and isolated from any combustible material and
ignition sources. As some of the ammunition that you are talking
about is very old, I would be inclined to make sure that each piece
is wrapped separately to avoid friction. They should be clearly
labelled as dangerous material, and access should be restricted to
those who are aware of the dangers. Ammunition very rarely goes off
by itself. It usually needs something to start it, such as
concussion, heat or a spark. Hope this helps,

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial
Treloar Centre for Conservation