Subject: Pest control

Pest control

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 1998
Robert K. MacDowell <macdowell_r [at] mediasoft__net> writes

>We often encounter living larva of the Dermestidae Family during
>examination and treatment of antique dolls, generally inside the
>heads or in the bodies. Over the years, we have treated these
>infestations by placing all affected parts in plastic bags with
>mothballs and keeping the bags sealed for a month or so.
>
>... I want to arrive at a simple, easily implemented
>treatment plan that I can describe to clients who own these objects,
>so that they can safely and effectively deal with infestations in
>their own collections, be they in homes or institutions, with the
>highest degree of safety to the objects and the owners.

Sealing the dolls in an oxygen-free envelope for a period of a few
weeks should destroy all adults, larvae, and eggs. Keepsafe Systems
supplies anoxic treatment "kits": a kit consists of a custom-sized
barrier film envelope and enough Ageless oxygen scavenger to treat
the object. Objects are placed in the envelope with the Ageless, and
the bag is sealed with a warm iron, tacking iron, or heat sealing
press.

The Ageless sachets and the barrier film can be safely disposed of
with regular landfill trash.  The process does not involve severe or
rapid changes in temperature or humidity, and I know of no side
effects to the treated objects. Besides, the dolls won't stink from
mothballs when removed! Our web site has more information.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems &
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation
Toronto, Ontario