Subject: Pest control

Pest control

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 1998
Robert K. MacDowell <macdowell_r [at] mediasoft__net> writes

>We often encounter living larva of the Dermestidae Family during
>examination and treatment of antique dolls, generally inside the
>heads or in the bodies. Over the years, we have treated these
>infestations by placing all affected parts in plastic bags with
>mothballs and keeping the bags sealed for a month or so.

It can take a long time for a complete kill, during which time they
will continue to eat. For doll stuffing, this may not be a major
drawback, but I had a client who did this with a feathered mask and
a lot more feathers were destroyed before the whole episode was
over.

B. Appelbaum

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 13, 1998