Subject: Pest control

Pest control

From: Robert K. MacDowell <macdowell_r>
Date: Monday, October 5, 1998
We often encounter living larva of the Dermestidae Family during
examination and treatment of antique dolls, generally inside the
heads or in the bodies. Over the years, we have treated these
infestations by placing all affected parts in plastic bags with
mothballs and keeping the bags sealed for a month or so.

I would very much appreciate comments on this problem. In
particular, I want to arrive at a simple, easily implemented
treatment plan that I can describe to clients who own these objects,
so that they can safely and effectively deal with infestations in
their own collections, be they in homes or institutions, with the
highest degree of safety to the objects and the owners.

Robert K. MacDowell
MacDowell Restorations

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 8, 1998