Subject: Chlorine dioxide

Chlorine dioxide

From: Franklin Shores <jfshores>
Date: Sunday, October 4, 1998
I have been using Chlorine dioxide locally on otherwise terribly
disfiguring stains on various objects on paper when no other
treatment could be used. The method I use employs the use of a small
shallow tray containing the active ingredients, which is placed into
a larger tray. The object being treated is suspended over the
smaller tray. The areas of stains are wetted up using care not to
dampen any colors that could be affected by the gas which is
generated below the work. The larger tray is covered with a sheet of
acrylic just after the gas is activated. A sufficient volume of anti
chlor, hypo, is mixed prior to activating the gas and stands ready
to stop the gas generation. I have had great results and no problems
with complete evacuation of the fumes. The reason I bring this up is
that some people have not been able to feel safe using their fume
hood for such treatment.

I would like to hear from others who have used this method and I
will respond to questions.  Also I would like to hear about your
experiences with this method.

Franklin Shores
Conservator of Art on Paper
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania