Subject: Visiting Princeton during ALA midwinter meeting

Visiting Princeton during ALA midwinter meeting

From: Robert J. Milevski <milevski>
Date: Friday, September 18, 1998
    author.

Midwinter Tour Opportunity to Princeton Preservation Office

The last time the American Library Association (ALA) held its
midwinter meeting in Philadelphia (February 1995) there was a *big
snow storm*.  The day before that white blanket fell from the sky
and temporarily paralyzed the region, however, Princeton University
Library hosted a tour of its Preservation Office and conservation
lab.  We bussed folk from Philly to Princeton early in the morning,
conducted a tour which included an optional mid-afternoon side trip
to Special Collections for those souls so willing, a sit-down lunch
at the faculty club, and a late afternoon busride back to Philly.  A
small number of folk, ALA and non-ALA,  arrived on their own steam
as well.  It was an all-day affair, to be sure, and a good time was
had by all.  Really!  We had 21 or so participants.

I would like to inquire whether there are any hardy ALA-bound souls
among you and/or other folk in the region, who missed this event the
first time around, who would be now interested in the opportunity
again.  Redux.

I would also like to know what you believe to be the best day for
you to attend the tour. Meetings for ALA preservation folk run from
Saturday, January 30 through Tuesday, February 2. These are the days
in my sightline, although I will consider Wednesday, Feb. 3 as well
for those who wish to spend another day in this part of the world. I
will not consider Sunday, January 31, however.

If I get enough response (say 12- 15 or more folk)  and a mutually
agreeable day works out for all involved, I will then make the
arrangements.  The drill will be similar to that described above,
with the exception of a box lunch, rather than a hot meal.  Sorry,
economy rules.  On the other hand, if the response does not meet the
minimum, it will not happen.  Simple.

This offer is made in the same spirit as the first event:  I am
proud of our preservation/conservation program and I like to show it
off, but we are slightly off the beaten track, not too far from the
beautiful New Jersey Turnpike.

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Library
One Washington Road
Princeton, NJ 08544
609-258-5591
Fax: 609-258-4105

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 22, 1998