Subject: Reproduction of museum objects

Reproduction of museum objects

From: Jessica Turner <jessicat>
Date: Monday, September 21, 1998
scattering with metal objects, yes we have had problems!  Last year
we attempted to make a replica of a highly corroded and concreted
copper kettle and were disappointed when we were unable to get clear
imagery. We attempted to use a biomodeling technique offered by
Anatomics in Brisbane in which a model is constructed using a
laser-hardened and UV cured polymer.

A large amount of scattering was produced due to the metal and the
corrosion products present.

It is possible that a 3D Ultrasound technique may be more successful
for metal and we may attempt to use it in the future.

Jessica Turner
Materials Conservator, Queensland Museum
P.O. Box 3300
Sth BNE, QLD, 4101, Australia
+61 7 3840 7681
Fax: +61 7 3846 1918

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 22, 1998