Subject: Reproduction of museum objects

Reproduction of museum objects

From: Angie Geary <infinity>
Date: Monday, September 21, 1998
This is in response to Will Jeffers query regarding laser scanning
of reflective objects. I am currently engaged in a research project
involving the laser scanning of European polychrome sculpture at the
V&A museum, London. I am using the a system called VIVID to capture
range data. The objects concerned often have regions of gilding but
are otherwise non-reflective. I have had no difficulty in capturing
accurate dimensional data from the gilded areas using this system.
The models obtained are being used in a multimedia context, however,
and are not intended for physical reproduction.

I am very interested to hear from anyone engaged in similar or
related activities.

Angie Geary
research student
V&A/RCA Conservation Course, London
+44 171-237-8694

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 22, 1998