Subject: Harewood

Harewood

From: John Kjelland <woodobj>
Date: Friday, September 18, 1998
Jens Kauth <jenskauth [at] aol__com> writes:

>Could somebody explain how to reproduce
>sycamore harewood?

A few years ago, I was faced with a similar problem. Certainly Wood
in Aurora, NY at 716-655-0206 informed me that feeding ferrous
sulfate to live English Sycamore trees produced English Gray
Harewood and this type of veneer is difficult to find these days.
Also, not found in either English Sycamore or White Harewood veneers
was the needed grain pattern . Therefore, I toned Holly wood veneer
with orasol dies to produce the needed small infill or patch. Holly
wood veneer needs to be coated with a resin first to enhance the
refractive index and brush control before the art grain is applied.
Gray Harewood is one of 18 species of veneer found in a treated
mural exposed to constant sunlight for sixty two years. The light
fastness or fading of the Gray Harewood compared to the other 17
species has been more or less equal. Good luck.

John Kjelland, Conservator
Missoula, MT

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 22, 1998