Subject: Harewood

Harewood

From: Dean Koga <dkkoga>
Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998
Jens Kauth <jenskauth [at] aol__com> writes:

>I am treating a piece of furniture with harewood veneering. I know
>that the dying process is done with copper sulphate, but I have no
>idea about the technique. Could somebody explain how to reproduce
>sycamore harewood? Thank you,

Harewood was traditionally made by boiling English Sycamore veneer
(Acer Pseudoplatanus) in a solution of ferrous sulfate.
Unfortunately, the silver gray color fades with exposure to light
and air.  The gray color can fade completely in just a few decades.
Using aniline dyes to get the right color on English Sycamore is
easier than the traditional method, and may last just as long.
Harewood veneer is still available.  One source is R.S. Bacon
Veneers in New York City.

Dean Koga
Building Conservation Associates
902 Broadway - Suite 1601
New York, NY  10012

               Distributed: Thursday, September 17, 1998