Subject: Freezing motion picture film

Freezing motion picture film

From: Diana Ruby-Sanderson <dlrs>
Date: Tuesday, September 15, 1998
I recently completed a survey of our film collection using the
testing strips from IPI that measure the presence of vinegar
syndrome.  Most of the films were produced in the late 1950s through
early 1970s and used a variety of production teams and labs.  Most
of the collection is in good shape, showing a reading of 1.0 and
below.  However, some of the films turned the test strips bright
yellow and reeked of vinegar.

Since we have no funds with which to pay for the transfer to new
stock or clean the existing film, we're going to have to freeze the
the worst of the bunch.  An employee is donating a 7 cu. ft. chest
freezer that she no longer needs.  I might be able to liberate some
money to purchase storage bags.  Which storage bags do you recommend
for 10 and 12 inch metal reel films?

Diana Ruby-Sanderson
Presbyterian Church (USA)
Department of History
Montreat, NC

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 16, 1998