Subject: X-ray equipment

X-ray equipment

From: David Harvey <dharvey>
Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998
Susan Braovac <susan.braovac [at] iakn__uio__no> writes

>Our X-ray apparatus has finally reached retirement age, and we have
>received money to buy a new one for the laboratories here at the
>University Museum of National Antiquities, University of Oslo.

We recently planned and equipped an X-ray lab in our new facility
that opened last year.  We consulted several experts in the planning
process since we conserve a huge array of collections - everything
from archaeological artifacts to decorative arts, fine arts, and
folk art objects.  We choose an American manufacturer because of
their reliability and also because spare parts and service would not
be an issue.  Our unit is an Industrial Pantak 225 Kv. constant
potential, 4 - 7mA system.  In use the system can go as low as 4 Kv
up to 225 Kv and sustain very short to very long exposure times.

We also decided to install our system mounted on an overhead bridge
crane with a telescoping arm that allows 360 degree rotation of the
tube head.  This allows the heavy cables to be mounted overhead
rather than on the floor, which gives us maximum versatility in
moving and positioning objects in the  room.  The control board is
in a separate shielded room and it is fully digital and can be
programed with up to 1000 exposures in its memory.

We also purchased an Agfa automatic developer that processes film in
81/2 minutes.  We placed our system in a basement area with the
primary wall bordered by earth and two other walls with lead
shielding. Our large freight elevator is just a few feet away which
allows large objects to be transported easily to the lab. There is
minimal activity around the room and we have had the room surveyed
by a certified health physicist  to make sure we meet the American
Federal standard of no more than 1/2 millirem per hour, 2 inches
from any wall or door surface.

We are still learning on the system, but we have had fabulous
results with everything from works of art on paper, textiles,
paintings, and archaeological and decorative arts metals.

Anyone who would like further details please contact me off of the
List.

David Harvey Associate Conservator,
Metals & Arms
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
P.O. Box 1776
Williamsburg, Virginia  23187-1776  USA

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 16, 1998