Subject: Ivory Brooch with watercolour portrait

Ivory Brooch with watercolour portrait

From: Nicole Rowney <icssyd>
Date: Thursday, September 10, 1998
A brooch made of ivory with a watercolour portrait has come to us
for treatment. The ivory has dark brown/black staining on the front
surface, and the cerulean pigment of the watercolour is cupped. The
cupped area on the watercolour appears to have had an adhesive or
varnish previously applied.

Ideally we would like to remove the varnish then consolidate the
watercolour, however the watercolour is extremely fragile and
soluble. We would like to know if anyone has carried out such a
treatment or are there any suggestions for a consolidant for the
watercolour and a method for cleaning the ivory.

Nicole Rowney
Paper Conservator
International Conservation Services
53 Victoria Ave
Chatswood NSW 2067
Australia
+61 2 9417 3311
Fax: +61 2 9417 3102

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 15, 1998