Subject: Rope

Rope

From: Dominique Rogers <Do>
Date: Wednesday, September 2, 1998
Tom Stone <tom_stone [at] pch__gc__ca> writes

>I've had an inquiry as to how best to preserve rigging on a sailing
>ship replica. The ship is displayed out of doors and the rigging is
>manila rope.

>From The Technology of Cordage Fibres and Ropes, D. Himmelfarb
published by Leonard Hill, London, 1977, page 266. It appears that
Manila was sometimes tarred the best results were obtained with
copper naphthate (0.9%) Cu.

Des Pawson from the Guild of Knots Tyers told me that the Man who
knows is Ted Kaye, from Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic Connecticut,
Voice mail: +1 860 572 0711.

Dominique-Anita Rogers, BSc.
Ganapati Kumari, Pin Mill, Ipswich, IP9 1JW, UK.

                Distributed: Thursday, September 3, 1998