Subject: Ethafoam and other polyethylene foams in conservation

Ethafoam and other polyethylene foams in conservation

From: Scott Williams <scott_williams>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998
In a message to Texcons dated 98/06-30-16:40, Ann Frisina asked for
information about "ethafoam".  There were a number of ambiguities in
the associated "ethafoam" thread which I will try to sort out.

    **** Moderator's comments: See "Ethafoam and Other Polyethylene
    Foams in Conservation" in Conservation OnLine
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/williams/foam.html>

I would be most grateful to receive information about, and samples
of, degraded polyethylene foam, especially those foams that have
unambiguous brand information associated with them (such as the
printing of the label directly on the edge of the foam plank).  If
you have information that you wish to share, please contact me
personally at the phone, fax, postal, or email addresses listed
below.  I would be happy to hear anecdotal information as well.

I would be happy to attempt to answer further questions that are
posted about polyethylene foams in the conservation/museum context.

R. Scott Williams, Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
Conservation Processes and Materials Research
Canadian Conservation Institute
Department of Canadian Heritage
1030 Innes Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0M5
613-998-3721
Fax: 613-998-4721,

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 1, 1998