Subject: Testing for lead

Testing for lead

From: Scott Carroll <carrolls>
Date: Monday, August 31, 1998
This is a response to the query about a simple test for lead.  Over
the past two years I have been working with Nancy Odegaard,
conservator at the Arizona State Museum, on manual of spot tests for
conservation.  Although there are literally dozens  of tests for
lead, we have come across two that are very simple and also very
accurate.

The first one is  the Plumbtesmo Test Papers.  These are available
from the company Gallard-Schlesinger Industries, Inc. Carle Place
NY.  PH# 800-645-3044

The other one is called the Lead Check Swabs from the company Hybri
Vet Systems, PO box 1210, Framingham MA 01701 (800) 262-LEAD.  The
company says that the swabs are available through local hardware
stores.

Scott Carroll
Conservator
National Museum of the American Indian