Subject: Rope

Rope

From: Dominique Rogers <Do>
Date: Friday, August 28, 1998
Tom Stone <tom_stone [at] pch__gc__ca> writes

>I've had an inquiry as to how best to preserve rigging on a sailing
>ship replica. The ship is displayed out of doors and the rigging is
>manila rope.

I have just mounted an exhibition where ropes were a significant
feature.  The main advantage of Manila over hemp was that it did not
need tarring, as it is salt water resistant, this is why it took the
rope market over in the early 19th century.  However it was probably
dressed with some fat to prevent wear. I cannot remember everything
about it right now,but I know a man who knows and he will be back
next week, if you need more info let me know.  There is an
'International Guild of Knot Tyers' (Pacific Americas Branch) and
they know everything there is to know about ropes,  I do not have
their address, but I can get it (again next week)

Dominique-Anita Rogers, BSc.
Ganapati Kumari, Pin Mill, Ipswich, IP9 1JW, UK.

                  Distributed: Friday, August 28, 1998