Subject: Skin Deep Newsletter

Skin Deep Newsletter

From: David M. Lanning <sales>
Date: Friday, August 21, 1998
We are please to advise the publication on our web site of the
Autumn 1998 edition of 'Skin Deep' - volume 6.
<URL:http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm>. In this Autumn Edition, we
are pleased to continue our series on bookbinding organisations,
with an article on Designer Bookbinders. They are dedicated to the
craft of Hand Bookbinding and although based in the UK, have a truly
international membership.

Following various letters and comments that have been received by
the editor, we are commencing a series of articles on Leather
Dressing.  The intention is to create a starting point for a debate
on the various pro's and con's relating to its usage.  In this issue
we have the pleasure of reproducing the first of several articles by
Ellen McCrady, which first appeared in the Abbey Newsletter.  We
would welcome your views on the issues raised and would hope to
publish them in the Spring 1999 issue of Skin Deep.

John Smart, a craft bookbinder from Wiltshire tells us about his
family's business and the Basic Refurbishment of Old Books video he
has recently produced.

The Manufacture of Leather - Part 6 continues the story.  In this
issue, we cover the final wet processes which are undertaken in the
dyehouse, prior to the leather entering the final stages in the
finishing department.

We are proud to have been awarded second place in a regional
competition, organised by East of Scotland Water for long term
improvements to the environment.  Details of this and our new
bagpipe goatskin will be found in "Company News".  And finally,  we
have our regular items: Letter & Feedback, Company & Product News,
a new item, Dates for your Diary.

David M. Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. (London)
+44 181 965 5377