Subject: Cleaning sculpture

Cleaning sculpture

From: Iona McCraith <iona.mccraith>
Date: Monday, August 17, 1998
I have been asked if I would forward the inquiry below for someone
who is not on this list.  Please reply directly to Ms. Slade and if
of general interest post here as well.

    The archives at my company has possession of a bust of a man who
    played a prominent role in founding the company.  The bust was
    probably made in the mid-80's; it was made in France.  It is
    off-white, has a relatively smooth surface, and is as hard as
    rock.  It is not stone or marble, it is a synthetic of unknown
    composition.  When a metal letter opener is rubbed against the
    surface it produces a powder. He is approx. 28" from top to
    base. This is about as detailed as I can get in the way of a
    description.

    The question is: does anyone out there have any suggestions as
    to a way to clean the surface?  We recently moved, and
    unfortunately, we did not cover the bust well enough to avoid
    fingerprints.

    Liz Slade
    Compaq Computer Corporation
    Information Research Services,  Archives
    550 King Street, LKG1-2/J12
    Littleton, MA  01460
    Liz.Slade [at] digital__com

Iona McCraith