Subject: Boar tusks

Boar tusks

From: Stefanie Scheerer <0711467891>
Date: Sunday, August 16, 1998
For the thesis of my 4-years conservation course, I have to treat
deteriorated boar's tusks. I have to reshape the broken pieces of
the tusks to be able to glue them back. This is possible with high
humidity. Sometimes it is nessesary to keep the tusks over more than
one week in the humidity chamber. Therefore mold will be a problem.
Which fungicide can I use and is it nessesary to bring it directely
in contact with the tusk or is it possible to just fill it with the
water in the humidity chamber? Is UV-light enough to prevent mould?
How much light is needed per day?

I chose Paraloid/Acryloid B72 as adhesive. Does the high humidity
have any affect on the B72?

When I allow the adhesive to dry, I need to fix the tusk in
position. Which tool can I use which does not hurt the tusks, as the
enamel is very fragile on the surface and easily popping off?

It would be a great help if some of my questions can be answered. If
somebody has further experiences on the conservation of dentine
materials I would be happy about any message.

Stefanie Scheerer
University of Applied Sciences
for Technology and Busines Studies
Conservation Department