Subject: Manta ray wing

Manta ray wing

From: Sarah-Jane Rennie <srennie>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998
One of our curators recently took a field trip to Lamelera in
Indonesia and has brought back 2 pieces of air dried Manta Ray.  One
is part of the wing which has been stretched out using sticks.  The
other is the tail with a fleshy section.  Both pieces have an
extremely overwhelming odour.  The curator would like to place them
on exhibition in November.  We are wondering if it is possible to
carry out any more effective curing of the pieces.  Has anyone had
any experience with this sort of material?

Sarah-Jane Rennie
Australian National Maritime Museum

                Distributed: Wednesday, August 26, 1998