Subject: Repairing cloisonne

Repairing cloisonne

From: Dale Freedman <dale>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998
cloisonne artifact, I suggest using Hxtal in a composition with dry
pigment, marble flour and fumed silica.  In working with chinese
objects, I have found that marble flour gives the composition
appropriate opacity without making the color seem dead.  The fumed
silica should give you a matte finish.  If you need to dull it more,
a light application of denatured alcohol should do the trick.

Dale Freedman
(private practice)
Newton, MA

                Distributed: Wednesday, August 26, 1998