Subject: Mounting a large quilt

Mounting a large quilt

From: Susan Klein <susan.klein>
Date: Monday, July 27, 1998
I am one of 79 contributors of squares to a quilt to commemorate the
79 sites on the African-American Freedom Trail in Connecticut. When
sewn together, with batting and backing material, the finished quilt
will consist of four pieces that will measure at least 6' by 8'. The
project organizers are thinking of framing these quilts, using
traditional picture frames with glass, as protection from both light
and dust. None of the quilters involved have ever hung their work
within glassed frames, and we're hoping to hear from textile
conservators as to the feasibility of this. Specifically, we would
like information on whether this is an archivally appropriate
treatment, and if so, advice on how to best mount the quilts within
their frames. Many thanks!

Susan Klein, Conservation Assistant
Collection Care Program, Sterling Library, Yale University

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 29, 1998