Subject: Fires in Florida

Fires in Florida

From: Sharla Richards <srichards>
Date: Monday, July 6, 1998
SOLINET and a few others are pulling together some general
guidelines for libraries in the Florida area, especially for smoke
damage. I have been in contact with the National Task Force on
Disaster Preparedness, AMIGOS, and CCAHA.  I also have a call into
the Getty about their disaster plan in relation to brush fires, etc.

I noticed one person already asked for some information on smoke
damage related to the Florida fires. If anyone on the Cons DistList
has any general guidelines or recommendation they would like to
share, forward the information to me at sharla_richards [at] solinet__net.
SOLINET will be able to send this information out to the libraries
via the state library and cooperative listservs.

I am specifically looking for information from those institutions
that have had a personal experience with brush fires and high
concentration of smoke for prolong periods of time.

    *   What steps did they follow when smoke became a problem?

    *   Did they do any modifications to their filtration system,
        HVAC, etc to lessen the amount of smoke being introduced to
        the building?

    *   Did they close up the building, turn off the HVAC system,
        and seal up the building as much as possible?

Sharla Richards

                   Distributed: Friday, July 17, 1998