Subject: Pigments used on tree fern figure

Pigments used on tree fern figure

From: Margot M. Wright <ant011>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1998
We have in the laboratory a Grade Society tree fern figure
from Vanuatu (New Hebrides).  It was collected in the
19th century and there is some question about the pigments
used to decorate the figure as they appear to be very
different from some which are illustrated. Literature
searches have been carried out about the identification of
the pigments employed but to no avail. I would be grateful
if you would inform me of any information which you might
have about the identification of such pigments or of any
articles which have been written about the pigments used in
the islands.

Margot M Wright
Conservator
Marischal Museum, Marischal College