Subject: Protecting textiles from insects

Protecting textiles from insects

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1>
Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998
Craigen Bowen inquires about techniques for protecting textiles in a
non-museum setting, apparently while being stored by an artist and
then apparently while in a piece of art on exhibit (but apparently
not under museum or controlled conditions).

Tough question, especially since so much depends on the types of
fabrics, the types of probable insects, and the environments.
However, in storage, assuming there are no insects in the textiles
when purchased, perhaps they could be stored in an anoxic
environment (I'm sure Jerry with Keepsafe can supply additional
information). Alternatively, storage in plastic Rubbermaid boxes
with a little drione (a combination of silica gel and pyrithines)
should also work.

As for display--perhaps a reasonable approach might be to explore
some of the commercial mothproofing treatments offered by dry
cleaners. Some of the treatments are very effective and may provide
a something approaching long- term protection. Once on "indefinite"
display, however, I suspect that pests will sooner or later become
an issue--depending on the environment and circumstances.

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664