Subject: Gloves

Gloves

From: Karen Motylewski <kmoty>
Date: Thursday, July 9, 1998
On behalf of Ellen Rickman non subscriber, Patricia Ewer
<pewer [at] biltmore__com> writes

>    I am concerned about using cotton gloves for objects that are
>    slick, that have rough surfaces, or are heavy and awkward
>    ... I am wondering
>    about the safety of using unpowdered latex gloves

I have no information about the possibility of short-term
contamination of objects from latex gloves, but you may want to
consider another possibility, since latex gloves can also pose grip
problems.  Light Impressions (and other vendors) sell white cotton
gloves with a textured rubber-like palm (made for baton twirlers).
Light Impressions refers to these as "sure grip" gloves.  I don't
know what the material is, and the catalog doesn't say.  They're
excellent for handling glass plate negatives and other slippery
objects.

Karen Motylewski, Director and Senior Lecturer
Conservation and Preservation Studies
SZB564/D7000, University of Texas at Austin
Austin TX 78704-1276
512-471-8290
Fax: 512-471-8285

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 14, 1998