Subject: Contributions for Cuban institutions

Contributions for Cuban institutions

From: Jeanne Drewes <jdrewes>
Date: Thursday, July 9, 1998
In May I had the opportunity to speak at a conference in Cuba and to
visit a number of institutions to survey their preservation needs.
The needs are very great, in all cases there is a shortage of
materials and equipment.  I also visited a wonderful book artists
coop and have a small sample of their books linked to my web page. I
trying to assist the various institutions and people who I had the
opportunity to meet. These institutions include the National
Archives, the regional Archives in Matanzas, The University of
Havana Library School and university library, the Hemingway Museum,
and a number of museums in the city of Havana which are part of the
City Historian's office including archeology, history and
literature.

I have already been able to send some materials but am working to
send a more substantial shipment via the proper licensing that is
required by our government.  I am also raising funds to provide
additional training which is also badly needed.

I have created a list of materials that would be useful for the
various Cuban institutions which I visited in May 1998.  The list is
on the web and can be reached at

<URL:http://milton.mse.jhu.edu:8001/library/pres/supplies.html>

I have a wonderful opportunity to send materials and equipment in
August of this year nearly for free.  I have already submitted the
license for materials to be sent so everything is legal with the
government and I have the appropriate people to receive the
materials in Cuba so that the materials really go to the
institutions.  The only catch is that I have to have everything by
July 31.  Anyone who is interested in contributing please send
materials and equipment to me at the address below as soon as
possible.  Any materials received after that date will still go to
Cuba, but I will have to raise money for transport.  Please contact
me if you have questions. And thank you in advance for any help you
provide.

Jeanne Drewes
Preservation Department
Milton S. Eisenhower Library