Subject: Flaking ink on manuscript

Flaking ink on manuscript

From: John Holmes <joh>
Date: Friday, July 3, 1998
I would like to know if anyone out there has experience of a problem
with flaking inks on an illuminated Italian manuscript, circa 1400.
I have been told that this is a defect typical of Italian vellum
manuscripts of this period.

The vellum, and the pigments of the illuminations, are in sound
condition, but the manuscript inks are flaking, leaving little trace
on the surface of the vellum. Either the binder in the inks has
failed, or is not adhering to the surface of the vellum. Given the
good condition of the vellum and the pigments, the flaking inks do
not seem to have been caused by poor storage, display, or use.

Have you dealt with manuscripts of similar origins, with the same
problem? What action did you take? We are wondering if we could
unobtrusively fix the inks without disbinding the volume

John Holmes
Preservation Development Officer
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru
National Library of Wales