Subject: Costs of treatment

Costs of treatment

From: N. J. Bud Goldstone <as768>
Date: Friday, July 3, 1998
Margaret Holben Ellis <mhe1 [at] is2__nyu__edu>

>I am doing an initial foray into art history literature in search of
>citations  regarding the costs of restoration treatments and/or
>projects

The costs of treatment for the publicly-owned, Watts Towers have
been documented, some costs officially and others unofficially since
1959. The monument was privately-owned from 1958 to 1975 when it was
donated to the City of Los Angeles which promptly gave it to the
state. If this monumental site fits into your "restoration
treatments and/or projects I can provide you with newspaper
references of comments in letters to the editor and editorials.

Costs for repairs/conservation of these cement mortar
sculptures and their 40,000 ornaments since 1979 were about
$3,000,000 paid by the city, state and federal government(FEMA).
>From 1958 to 1975 a private citizens committee paid for repairs and
upkeep before giving them to the city which promptly gave them to
the state.

Bud Goldstone

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 9, 1998