Subject: Gloves

Gloves

From: Patricia Ewer <pewer>
Date: Wednesday, July 1, 1998
This is posted on behalf of Ellen Rickman non-subscriber.

    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to Ellen Rickman and if of
    general interest post it here as well

    At Biltmore House, in Asheville, NC, we are beginning a new
    program to train all curatorial, housekeeping, and maintenance
    staff in safe handling and movement of fine and decorative arts
    objects.  I am writing a training manual, and one aspect of the
    manual to be addressed is the use of gloves when handling
    artifacts.  I am recommending the use of white cotton gloves for
    certain types of artifacts, but not for others.  In particular,
    I am concerned about using cotton gloves for objects that are
    slick, that have rough surfaces, or are heavy and awkward to
    carry and therefore at risk of being dropped.  I am wondering
    about the safety of using unpowdered latex gloves in these
    situations.  Are other institutions using latex gloves?  Is
    anyone aware of risks associated with latex?  I would appreciate
    any feedback.

    Ellen Rickman
    Collections Manager
    erickman [at] biltmore__com