Subject: Flooring

Flooring

From: Joe Houston <jhousto1>
Date: Friday, June 26, 1998
We are currently constructing new storage facilities for the
university's permanent collection of paintings, photos and works on
paper. In selecting a flooring material for this space, I am
concerned about offgassing of reactive chemicals in linoleum tile,
tile adhesives and concrete sealants, all of which are currently
under consideration. (There is standard commercial ventilation in
the space). Can anyone advise on appropriate materials for this use?
Is there a database/publication about the long term effects of
building materials on art objects in general?

Joe Houston
DePaul University Art Gallery
Chicago

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 2, 1998