Subject: Digital cameras and scanners

Digital cameras and scanners

From: Linda A. Strauss <lstrauss>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998
    author.

I am in the process of researching digital cameras/scanners for an
article in the WAAC Newsletter and would appreciate hearing from any
conservator who is using one in their work. I would like to know how
they are being used, what is working and what could be improved.  If
you are not using one, do you contemplate doing so in the near or
far future and do you have specific ideas about where and when you
think they would be useful?

If you do use a digital camera or a scanner in your work, what
software are you using to manipulate images?  How do you like it?
Does it do everything you want it to do?  How are you coping with
the storage and cataloging of the large image files? Do you save
them on your hard drive, on floppies, zip/Jaz drives or do you write
your own CDs?

Please reply to me off list including the model numbers, brands and
the general ballpark cost of your system.  I know that cost changes
almost daily, but I am interested in whether your system cost is in
the range of $500-$1000 or $10,000. plus. In other words is it only
feasible for a large institution or is it something a smaller studio
could afford?

Aside from the article, I would be happy to pull the information
together for everyone and  post a summary to the list.

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 18, 1998