Subject: Anoxic storage

Anoxic storage

From: Vinod Daniel <vinodd>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998
With regard to Lisa Nielsen's query on Anoxic Storage. I agree there
is a lot of theoretical information and very little published
information on low oxygen storage.

Ageless-Z which is the most popular type that the conservation
community has been using for anoxic pest control has been documented
to increase the relative humidity inside the enclosure (Grattan,
Gilberg....). This may not be a problem if you are storing a
painting or some other material that can buffer the change in
moisture content, However it may be an issue if you may be storing
metals or some modern materials. Also the type Z will not last long
in a very dry environment.

At the Australian Museum we are presently testing the use of the new
Ageless-RP system. This variety of Ageless can absorb both oxygen
and moisture (and some pollutants), and may be ideal for storing
collections that need a low RH environment. We have nearly 200 Iron
Pyrites placed in bags made of oxygen barrier films using Ageless RP
systems. Over a twelve month period the oxygen concentrations and
humidity have been maintained in the desired low levels.

The bigger questions on the benefits (or damage) due to storage in
low oxygen enclosures are still unanswered (in many cases), and it
may be of interest to us if institutions interested in this area can
pool information or collaborate on projects.

Vinod Daniel
Head, Research Centre for Materials Conservation and the Built
Environment.
Australian Museum
6 College Street
Sydney, NSW 2000