Subject: Air quality

Air quality

From: Ted Steemers <ted.steemers>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998
Sean Harrison is looking for guidelines for air quality, monitoring
systems and and air filtration systems.

All State Archives in the Netherlands (12 buildings) have air
purification systems in their repositories. In order to be able to
control the air quality we are using the On guard monitoring systems
from Purafill, Atlanta. We also want to know the real effects of
air-purification on the degradation of archival material. For this
purpose we started a research programm. We are comparing paper test
materials placed in a non purified repository and in a purified
repository. Every year there is a evaluation of paper samples and
after three evaluations we see the first difference that is
significant and this is the discouloration of the paper. The
research program is funded for 10 years.

The next publications on this subject are available in English.

    1.  Guidelines for air quality in archives
    2.  Influence of air-purification on the deterioration of paper
    3.  final report on the pilot study air-purification in archives
        coming up soon, an article in English,"the positive effects
        of air purification in the dutch state archives.

Ted Steemers
Conservation Policy Officer
Dutch State Archives
Netherlands