Subject: Active participation in DistList

Active participation in DistList

From: Patricia L. Miller <plmxiha>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998
I want to respond to Barbara Appelbaum's post. I was going to reply
off-list, since I'm not a conservator, but I decided that would be
cowardly in light of the topic. :-) I find this list very
valuable--both the questions and the answers. Some are too technical
for my level of knowledge. Others help lay people know when to
stabilize something and when it's essential to get it to a
conservator immediately. In my role as the director of a nonprofit
service organization that assists museums, I get many different
kinds of questions. I try to point people towards the resource that
will help them and keep them from doing harm. Barbara Appelbaum has
been one of the people on this list who has been willing to share
her expertise, and it is very much appreciated. Today's postings
(which I've deleted, but you can retrieve them) prove the point.
Even those of us who are not conservators can benefit from those who
are, and we may be able to direct someone to a useful resource or
prevent some damage to collection items.

Patricia L. Miller, Executive Director
Illinois Heritage Association
602 1/2 E. Green St.
Champaign, IL 61820