Subject: Active participation in DistList

Active participation in DistList

From: Peter Graham <psgraham>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998
As an AUL for technical services, and soon to be director of an ARL
library, I have always urged all staff members to participate in
national affairs, and the topic of whether or not to participate on
a listserv simply hasn't arisen.  To me it's like breathing.  I'd be
interested to hear what the reasons are for administrators
constraining such participation.  The only one I can think of is
"don't ask or comment about how to handle X problem, someone might
discover that our 1989 gift of that kind is in bad shape."  Is that
a real issue?  And why should that constrain discussion on other
issues? --pg

    **** Moderator's comments: Along those lines, another might be
    "Don't show outsiders how little we know about X".

Peter Graham
Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ  08901-1163
732-445-5908
Fax: 732-445-5888

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 18, 1998