Subject: Active participation in DistList

Active participation in DistList

From: Jeanne Eichelberger <jeichelb>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998
Regarding Barbara Appelbaum's message about people who are
discouraged from contributing to this list, I am not myself in this
position, thank heaven, but I think I have an idea what may be going
on.  I think the directors of some institutions are uneasy about any
public statements from any of their employees for fear they may be
construed as being endorsed by the institution, or as being
expressions of the position of the institution.  Sort of like using
institutional stationery for personal or political purposes.  I'm
not by any means defending this attitude--in fact, don't have much
use for it--but just toss that out as a possible explanation for
what comes across as a gratuitously small-spirited attitude.

    **** Moderator's comments: For the record. New participants in
    the DistList receive a welcome text which includes the
    following:

        All contributions to the DistList and Conservation OnLine
        are, barring an *explicit* statement to the contrary,
        presumed to represent the opinions of the author and in no
        way imply the endorsement of any institution the author
        happens to work for. For this reason, 'Disclaimer' sigs are
        not included in DistList postings. (If your institution
        requires such sigs, please show your counsel this policy
        statement.)

Jeanne Eichelberger, Binghamton, NY

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 18, 1998