Subject: Removing adhesive from leather

Removing adhesive from leather

From: Nancy R. Robertson <nrrobert>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998
Emboldened by A. Appelbaum's kind post encouraging people to "chime
in" I am writing to solicit advice regarding a recent mishap with a
fine leather binding. Foil backed labels were mistakenly applied to
the spines of a two volume set, and although the mistake was
discovered relatively promptly and the labels were carefully peeled
off, some sticky residue remains on the spines. What would anyone
suggest as a safe method for removing the residue, and/or should I
just leave the residue on the leather? I don't know if I'll do more
harm than good trying to remove it, or, if it will in fact harm the
leather over time. Thanks for any advice,

Nancy R. Robertson
Rare Book Librarian
Collection Management Services
Library of Michigan