Subject: Storage of photo collections

Storage of photo collections

From: Erin Winslow <harry.y>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998
I am an archivist working on a 6 month project to organize a small
museum's archive. There are extensive photo collections that are
presently stored haphazardly in (non-archival) cardboard boxes.
Since I am originally from the U.S. and received my education there,
I've tried to educate myself regarding the slight differences
between archival practice in the U.S. and Sweden.

One difference I noticed was the recommendation that photos be
stored in metal boxes (rather than in cartons made of archival
quality cardboard). Does anyone have an idea why?

And does anyone know of a supplier that specializes in archival
supplies here in Scandinavia?

Erin Winslow

                  Distributed: Tuesday, June 16, 1998