Subject: Anoxic storage

Anoxic storage

From: Lisa Nilsen <lisa_nilsen16>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998
We are about to start a project on storing museum objects in an
oxygen free environment with Ageless(TM). There have been some
articles written on the subject, mostly how it works in theory, but
very few before-after examinations and case stories; we have
searched the Bibliographic database (BCIN) for every possible
keyword. One exception is Shashoua and Ward of the British Museum
(1993). We have also searched the Conservation DistList - there were
some questions regarding Ageless and some answers mostly on/from
American suppliers, but very few who are actually trying it out.

    **** Moderator's comments: Remember that there is more in CoOL
    than just the DistList archives. You will find, for example,
    several very useful items in the WAAC Newsletter

Our questions are therefore: Are there any conservators reading this
who are using Ageless in daily conservation practice? If so, what
kind of plastic film do you use? Suppliers? What are your results?
What are the difficulties? If you would like to share your
experience with us we would be very grateful.

Lisa Nilsen
David Pettersson
National Museum of Science and Technology
Box 27842
115 93 Stockholm, Sweden
46 8 663 10 85
Fax: +46 8 660 45 19