Subject: Specifications for glazing

Specifications for glazing

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998
Clara Deck inquires about laminated glass, noting that in a proposed
renovation program at the Henry Ford Museum they have been able to
find only one supplier and are expecting to pay a premium.

I am surprised. Perhaps you have very specific requirements. Or
perhaps your contractor/architect just isn't digging deep enough. I
pulled out of my files two manufacturers that would seem to meet
your needs:

    Pilkington LOF
    Their Supergray High Performance Tinted Float Glass has UV
    transmittance of 1%, a shading coefficient of 0.17, and (since
    insulation may be an issue in your part of the world), a U-value
    of 0.33. They can be reached at 419-247-4721.

    PPG
    <URL:http://www.ppgglass.com>
    Their Optigray 23 or Sungate 100 has UV transmittance of 2%, a
    shading coefficient of 0.21, and a U-value of 0.29. They can be
    reached at 800-377-5267 .

In addition, I would suggest that you call the North America
Laminated Glass Info Center<URL:http://lgic.glass-info.com/> at
800-230-4527. They can provide a large amount of research on
laminated glass and its longevity, as well as suppliers for specific
needs.

Hope this is helpful in your renovation project. Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664