Subject: Active participation in DistList

Active participation in DistList

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998
In answer to my recent urging for more people to "speak up" on line,
I received the following.  I am frankly rather shocked that an
institutional employer would take this position. How can they object
to an employee's professional development?  I also feel that
answering queries off-list is destructive of the whole point of
having a list.  I personally want to hear answers as well as
questions.  Does anyone have any constructive way to handle this?
Are there others out there in the same position?

   "It is possible that many people are in my position. Conservators
    at my institution are strongly discouraged from contributing
    publicly to the list. I often respond directly to the person
    making the inquiry, and I know many other people who do this,
    for whatever reason. Your point, however is well taken."

        **** Moderator's comments:  I'd be most appreciative if
        people in this situation would let me know about it.  And if any
        of you are responsible for setting this sort of policy, I'd
        very much like to hear from you as well.

B. Appelbaum

                  Distributed: Tuesday, June 16, 1998