Subject: Dye stability in C41 B&W films

Dye stability in C41 B&W films

From: Philip Hiscock <philip>
Date: Thursday, June 11, 1998
Does anyone know of anything published on dye stability in the various
C41-process black & white films that have been on the market in the past
fifteen years or so?  Ilford has had two (XP1 and XP2);  last year Kodak
started distributing its T400CN;  and now I see Konica has a version
packed in throwaway cameras.  I don't know anything about the Konica film
but the Ilford and Kodak films differ quite noticeably:  Kodak has a light
mask to make printing on colour machines easier, while the Ilford film is
a (more or less) clear film.  All three must use a dye and it seems at
least possible that they all use different dyes.  I wonder whether these
dyes have approximately the same life expectancy as other colour dyes, or
indeed if they've been tested.

Philip Hiscock
MUN Folklore & Language Archive (MUNFLA)
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland  A1B 3X8  Canada
709-737-8401
Fax: 709-737-4718

                   Distributed: Friday, June 12, 1998