Subject: Specifications for glazing

Specifications for glazing

From: Clara Deck <cdeck>
Date: Tuesday, June 9, 1998
The following is posted on behalf of Jim McCabe

    We are preparing specifications for new insulated glass windows to
    be installed in the Henry Ford Museum building.  We are looking at a
    couple of options for UV filtering and light reduction glazing and
    are interested to know what experience/analysis/thoughts others
    might be able to share with us.

    We are currently looking at two options:

        *   A laminated glass composed of a plastic UV-filtering film
            sandwiched between two sheets of tinted glass.  The
            performance characteristics of this laminated glass are
            similar to UF-4 plexi.

        *   UV filtering film applied to tinted glass after the windows
            are installed.

    Has anyone done any studies or had any experience with the
    performance, long term effectiveness, useful life etc. of either of
    these systems?  In the literature I've reviewed, there doesn't seem
    to be any consensus on the lifespan of the UV films; have I missed
    something?  I've never seen anything written on the laminated glass
    systems, though logic would suggest they would last longer than the
    applied films.

    The laminated glass has a single supplier and we are expecting to
    have to pay a premium for it.  We are wondering what kind of
    fallback the applied film represents if we have to start reducing
    costs.

    Jim McCabe
    Manager, Collections Care
    Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village