Subject: Rose petal beads

Rose petal beads

From: Diane Merrill <dianemerrill>
Date: Monday, June 1, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as well

I have an obscure topic. I need documentation (including
bibliography) regarding the origin and history of rose petal beads
(rosaries). I have made these beads with great success (basically
boiling and macerating the petals into a pulp, then rolling it into
compact beads) based on a recipe that was supposedly from the 11th
century. But I am having difficulty documenting this technique and
its history. I have heard rumors that rosary beads were made
originally out of rose petals, hence the term "rosary". I would like
to find documentation for that statement as well.
Any references or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Diane Merrill

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 10, 1998